Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My Opinion Isn't (A) Right..... :(


I've reviewed the article "The right to your own opinion" for the past three years, in Mrs. Byrnes class, last year in Dr. Preston's American Let class, and again this year. Each year it gave me something new to think about, reminding me all over again that my I really don't have a right to my opinion. What really caught my attention though was when we discussed that even in school our opinion doesn't matter. We are never ask about what we think or feel, its always, " this is how it is, and that's how its going to be." Never once has a teach asked me about what I feel about an assignment, until last year when I met Dr. Preston. He wanted our feed back, and he let us know from the beginning that this wasn't a one man job, we all had a say, and we all had to work together.
Back to the article though and the socratic seminar, I didn't take too many notes because I just wanted to focus on what the class had to say but here's some things I jotted down.

  • you can't CHANGE an opinion; you can INFLUENCE it tho
    • you are entitled to your own opinion, but you should be willing to listen to others opinions 
    • you should have evidence, something to bak you up
  • we are all connected; 
  • limbic: part of your brain that deals with emotions 
    • michales example of how she likes to argue
    • she argues with her emotions rather that logically
    • saying " I have the right to my own opinion" is like throwing in the towel
  • Daniele knows a lot about physics haha 

No comments:

Post a Comment