Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Filter Bubbles


  • a) What new information did you learn from the video?
  • b) How does this information make you think differently about what you see online?
  • c) What questions does this video raise about the Internet in general?
  • d) How can you improve the effectiveness of your searches?

a.) Before watching this video, I had noticed that website like Facebook and Youtube do request topics or videos for me to see based on my history. Yet, I never realized how much information it was holding me back from learning. I learned that based on your device, location, and previous searches, Google can in a sense customize you search feed based these factors. 
b.) Knowing what happens behind the scenes of the internet, it's kind of hard to believe the internet now. Not that they're giving me false information, but it feels like they're holding me back from the things I should be informed on, rather than whats happening on the VMA's. 
c.) Based on the video, I wonder how much smarter the internet can get. Its already predicting what I should watch, and what I should, or would like to know, so how much more can it predict? 
d.) Searching subjects other than your personal interest, like whats really going on in the world, and how these event can affect us, I think if we were exposed more to this, then we won't have to worry about why Kanye West and Kim Kardashian named their baby North West. 

No comments:

Post a Comment